Is it possible to manually activate an eth0 connection? - Partially SOLVED!

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 23 18:57:35 UTC 2009

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Just for what it's worth.  I blew out NM as NoOP and others
> have suggested in 8.04 because it wouldn't stay fixed and
> installed wicd.  I set up dhcp for my two pc lan once only and
> haven't had a connection problem since. No argument intended;
> just one persons experience. My experience with wicd has been so
> good, I may never use NM for gnome or kde again. I prefer kde.
> I expect using manual settings will be a breeze also but haven't
> attempted it so far.

I agreed that removing Network Manager was an option.  I know plenty of
people who have got around NM's problems using wicd.  I also know that wicd
isn't perfect either, and under some circumstances, when I tried it, it was
worse than NM.

What I objected to wasn't the suggestion of dumping NM and replacing it with
wicd, but the fact that the poster made a suggestion that was guaranteed not
to work under the circumstances, _because_ the OP was using NM.