Some thoughts about anti-virus software for Linux

Florian Diesch diesch at
Fri Jan 23 16:29:59 UTC 2009

Smoot Carl-Mitchell <smoot at> wrote:

> You are correct about the repositories being the most vulnerable vector
> to infect Linux systems.  It has always been a problem which continually
> raises legitimate security concerns.

For every package in the official repository a SHA and MD5 checksum is
stored in an list that is GPG signed. This signature and the checksums
are verfied during installation and you get a warning if they don't

**  Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please!  **