pdf2ps and scribus

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Jan 23 14:32:10 UTC 2009

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>        So I must conclude that pdf2ps does not work well at all, and
>> Scribus writes files all over your computer. This is not good. Does
>> anyone know a better way to save a pdf as a ps file?
>
> There are too many variables involved for you to reach the conclusion
> the pdf2ps does not work well "at all" - you only reported on how it
> converted one file (of unknown origin).
>
> The best method of PDF->PS conversion depends on your intent.  Here is
> a basic method that should work well for most things:

I've come across several PDF files that historically, gs does not render
well.  I haven't re-tested this in years, so my anecdotal 'evidence' is
probably next to useless, but I think it's worth installing xpdf package
for this purpose.

xpdf also includes the command 'pdftops' (not to be confused with gs
pdf2ps) that I have often found to be superior, and indeed, a good way
to recover pdf files that are otherwise unusable on Linux.