Ubuntu 8.04.2, just installed, doesn't allow access to my hardDisk.

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 12:52:14 UTC 2009

David MacClement wrote:
> An hour ago I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 8.04.2 while using my
> 8.04.1, but now I find that neither my own hardDisk nor my earlier
> installations (e.g. with their Firefox bookmarks) are accessible to me.

    What you did was re-write the Grub message and your upgrade did not
complete for some reason.

> How do I either:
> 1) find those other partitions (there used to be a command-line-style list
> in a box, just after start-up)
> - or:

    Your talking about the Grub system loader.

> 2) remove (de-install) 8.04.2, leaving my computer as it was before.

    This you can't do. You ruined your Ubuntu loading the 8.04.2 CD and
there is no going back.
> I still have my CD with the 8.04.1 ISO, and wonder whether I should
> install from it (losing the space taken up by this 8.04.2). That would be
> better than having no access to my fifteen-years-worth of files and
> folders on my hardDisk.
>
> David (age: 72yo).
> -- (David MacClement) davd AT orcon.net.nz ZL1ASX
> reposts in Germany: http://mitglied.lycos.de/davd/R/index.html#top
> http://au.geocities.com/davdnz/#earths I am at http://snipurl.com/1m27a
> earth our home: http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200710/r194556_737903.jpg
>
> What you need to do is fix grub. That may be all you need to do.

    Here is something I wrote about Grub attached. I hope it makes it to
you.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI