Install is working but takes forever???

Wade Smart wade at wadesmart.com
Thu Jan 22 23:15:26 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>>>        Which cd are you installing with? I suggest you use the LiveCD.
>>> Then you can learn more about the problem.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> 20090122 1629 GMT-5
>>
>> This IS the Live CD. I put in the cd and Im waiting for it to come up so
>>   I can go further... but its hanging.
>>
>> Wade
>>

>        Well OK. You can't even get the CD to run to completion. This
> tells me you have a computer that will not operate this version of
> Ubuntu. Sounds like a video driver problem.
>
>     Hate to ask you to d/l another cd but you need to try the LiveCD for
> 8.11 and just see if this version has the right video drivers. The
> LiveCD should take maybe 4 minutes to come up and then it will look
> exactly like it will when you install it.
>

> Karl

20090122 1713 GMT-5

8.11?

I rebooted again and let it run. Got the "choose language" screen. Then
I got a black screen with the Ubuntu logo on it and the orange left to
right process bar... but after about 15 minutes it shows me the 8.10
desktop. (Yea, I tried the 8.10 disk just in case.) That desktop never
went away and the cd stopped.

I think Im going to see about changing the ram as it seems to be acting
up under Windows as well.

OH, but I am downloading and burning another cd just to be sure.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005