Modify an existing PDF file

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 22:16:23 UTC 2009

        Well I got it and it works very well on my multi-color Multi
font PDF file. I can now modify ANY PDF file whether it has a method
built in or not. The key to this process is the Evince Document viewer
2.22.2 and the Scribus 1.3.3.11 software packages.

        There is a problem with Scribus, it will not allow a PDF file to
be loaded into it. Through experimentation I learned Scribus will take a
.PS file into it and this is where Evince comes in.

        To change an existing PDF file use Evince to display the PDF and
make sure it is what you want. When sure click on File-Print-To a File
and select the file type to be ps. You can change output.ps to any name
you want. This is a fast function.

        Now with Scribus find this ps file and load it. The image on
Scribus will be an exact copy of the original pdf. Now using the things
available on Scribus modify the image your working on any way you want.
You can even add a picture :-)

        When done you now click on the Scribus "save as a pdf" button.
It will do this quickly and when you bring up the changed pdf it looks fine.

        This was more work than I thought but it was an education too.
Thanks to all for your help.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI