Linking two packages

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Thu Jan 22 17:50:18 UTC 2009

John Hubbard:

> I am interesting in linking two packages.  Every time I upgrade my
> kernel I would like to also download the appropriate version of
> linux-headers.

That's what should happen by default. If it doesn't for you, then maybe
your system is missing the appropriate linux-headers-<flavour> meta
package which will always depend on the latest <flavour> headers package
available. If you are, for example, running the generic kernel, which is
the default on the Ubuntu desktop versions, you should have the
linux-headers-generic package installed.
For the kernel itself, there's a linux-image-<flavour> meta package for
the same reason. And since the packages for the kernel image and the
kernel headers are always published simultaneously, you should get them
both during an update - provided both meta packages are installed.

Regards
  mks