Is it possible to manually activate an eth0 connection? - Partially SOLVED!

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 22 15:31:52 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 1/22/09, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> From: Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca>
> Subject: Re: Is it possible to manually activate an eth0 connection? - Partially SOLVED!
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 8:25 AM
> Joep L. Blom wrote:
>
> > Derek Broughton wrote:
>
> >> Except that since his says it was written by
> NetworkManager, we already
> >> know it will be overwritten - as soon as he
> changes connections - if he
> >> just copies another one.
> >>
> > Well, I can only say then get rid of NetworkManager.
>
> That's always an option. However, using that as a cover
> for the fact that
> you gave damaging advice is even less helpful.
>
> > I don't run it as I
> > don't like the "Windows-way" of hiding
> for the user (supposedly "dumb
> > and ignorant") what really matters. As I
> don't run it I don't know it
> > and the man-pages give no information. My advice would
> be don't use it
> > and for wireless uses wicd.
>
> Which, ime, has been even worse than Network Manager.
>
> \
Just for what it's worth.  I blew out NM as NoOP and others
have suggested in 8.04 because it wouldn't stay fixed and
installed wicd.  I set up dhcp for my two pc lan once only and
haven't had a connection problem since. No argument intended;
just one persons experience. My experience with wicd has been so
good, I may never use NM for gnome or kde again. I prefer kde.
I expect using manual settings will be a breeze also but haven't
attempted it so far.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net