And another Ubuntu convert!

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 13:27:43 UTC 2009

Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi, Matt!
>
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>
>> Gilles Gravier wrote:
>>

>>> You get the picture.
>>>
>>> aMSN, aMule, OpenOffice, VLC (and dvdcss), Flash (non free), Java6,
>>> Skype, and she had all she needed!
>>>

>> Sun Java6 (presumably not OpenJDK) and Skype are also non-free, as is
>> libdvdcss2 (due to patent).
>>

> Yes, Java6, because I want full java support, INCLUDING Java Web
> Start... Skype... because her friends use Skype.
>
> Honestly, I'm no zealot. I've also added the proprietary ATI drivers.
>
> I frankly couldn't care less if there is non free (to redistribute / to
> that's not going to come to me in a week and ask me to put back Windows
> back on the machine.
>
> When there is a full open source alternative to Skype (and by
> alternative, I mean one taht enable its users to talk to Skype users -
> voice) we can talk again.
>
> aMSN is such an alternative for MSN Messenger. No equivalent for Skype.
>
> Again... I'm an strong open source defender, I'm actually an open source
> evangelist in my company. But I'm a realist. At least Java6, Skype,
> Flash are free to download and use. There is no cost associated.
> Regardless of the platform, actually. And I think it's good that they
> are on Linux as well. And when a user wants them, I see no reason NOT to
> give it to them... I'm not trying to make zealots of them. I'm trying to
> make HAPPY users of them.
>
> Gilles.

    Excellent discussion. I want the same thing so I can get friends to
us Ubuntu. The number one problem is the non-ubuntu codex files for
image and voice display. I tell them where to go but it's odd the way
you have to get them. I realize there is a legal problem and that has to
be done outside the USA. The Internet reaches outside very easy.

    It would be simpler if there was one thing you can do with maybe the
Sympatic file thing to d/l them.

    It is now possible to have almost everything Windows has, on Ubuntu.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User