And another Ubuntu convert!

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jan 22 01:03:48 UTC 2009

Mark Haney wrote:

> Apparently none of you get it.

I get it just fine, thanks

> This is all about popularity.

Of course it is.

> I take it
> none of you have been watching the increase in malware on OSX?

More to the point, none of us care.

> As
> Windows market share drops, and OSX share increases the malware authors
> see that they need to diversify their efforts.  At some point Windows
> won't be the ONLY THING(TM).  Therefore, as linux becomes more popular
> (and Ubuntu is a big part of that), malware authors will begin turning
> their attention to it.

Why? When? How?  Really, Linux is never going to be the #1 desktop OS (even
if you add all the distros together).

> This is why AV is important.  This is why you need to worry NOW. Not
> later.

I'm 100% in agreement with iodine - never met an AV program yet that is
better than practising safe web-browsing.

> I swear this 'it can't happen to me' attitude just blows my mind.  Just
> because it hasn't yet doesn't mean it won't.

It's not "it can't happen to me".  It's "it's highly unlikely to happen to
me, and I don't much care if it does".  The worst that could really happen
is that I could catch an infection and pass it on to the Windows users.
Their loss.