And another Ubuntu convert!

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Jan 21 23:10:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 16:40 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
> Yes a kernel upgrade fixed THAT ONE.  But may I remind you that you
> really need to google something before you spout nonsense.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_computer_viruses

If you search the list archives, you will find a post of mine where I
demonstrate for each one (IIRC) of them that they were either
unsuccessful proof-of-concepts, or were possibly release but never
actually seen in the wild and in any case haven't propagated for years.

Better, read more than one link level deep for yourself and then come
back.

As of today, no known viruses exist in the wild, the same situation as
1996. Given the rise of popularity that GNU/Linux systems have seen
since then, I don't know how much credibility you can derive for your
"it's about popularity" theory. Heck, 30% or more of internet servers
run some linux distro or other, and there's not exactly an epidemic.

I *do* support diligence, but in the right areas (good code, sane
policies, sane behavior, etc.). Following a road that has utterly FAILED
for Windows won't work.