And another Ubuntu convert!

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Jan 21 21:40:34 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>     Read the paper. A new kernel fixed whatever the problem was in 1996.
> 13 years later there has not been a second virus.
>
> Karl

Yes a kernel upgrade fixed THAT ONE.  But may I remind you that you
really need to google something before you spout nonsense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_computer_viruses

This is why ignorance of a user of ANY operating system is bad.  Very bad.

Iv'e been in this game a long time.  I know linux is vulnerable to
viruses.  Sure, there are fewer than windows, but that doesn't mean that
there are NONE.  I manage HPC systems for the Federal Government and on
each and every one of those I have an AV package that runs and monitors
everything.  I'd be begging to get fired if I just assumed those systems
would never get a virus 'because there are none'.

Geez.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support