Terminal Command Line Editing

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:18:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Alex Katebi <alex.katebi at gmail.com> wrote:

If the programs running in the terminal don't know your terminal can
do things like arrow-keys, then it won't work.
Theoretically, you could still be using an old teletype machine as a
terminal, or something not quite so ancient that it doesn't know how
to handle, so it provides only basic capabilities.

man terminfo for some info.

On the other hand, I just re-read your original note.  I might be
throwing you a red herring.

Command history and the readline editing come from bash.  Are you
running bash at the point you're trying this?  or just sh or dash?  or
maybe some other shell that doesn't use those shortcuts?

Brian