HOWTO use a keyfile for an encrypted swap partition

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Jan 21 15:15:48 UTC 2009

Christoph Korn wrote:
> Now, I tried the same HOWTO for setting up a keyfile for my
> encrypted swap partition and that fails. I am still asked for the
> passphrase of the swap partition. That may be because the swap
> partition is mounted before the root partition. The keyfile is then
> not available, yet.

Do you really need the swap space during boot up? If you don't need it,
you could remove the entry fron "/etc/fstab" and later enable it with the
appropriate swapon command in "/etc/rc.local". OTOH if you need it to
resume from hibernate I don't think it would be useful to eliminate the
passphrase check.

Nils