And another Ubuntu convert!

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Jan 21 15:07:58 UTC 2009

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9667184
>> Good thing you asked. The story has apparently been amended...there are
>> links to a response story and another link to "angry feedback" they
>> received over it!
>
> http://addins.wkowtv.com/blogs/troubleshooter/?p=24 :
>    [...]
>    Sadly, thousands of Ubuntu fans didn’t care about this woman’s
>    struggle to enroll in online courses. They didn’t care whether this
>    young woman went to college or not. They cared about the reputation of
>    Ubuntu.
>    [...]
>
> But... did she ask for help in any community channel?

She probably didn't *know* about the community channels.

She's probably a typical user. Her main "concern" was using Word. I'm
thinking that she cares about her computer outside of the objectives as
much as I care about head gaskets.

In other words, she wants to browse for games in her Internet and type
emails using Microsoft. She doesn't want to distinguish the application
from the task and has no interest in dedicating thought to figuring out
how to do so. So...the news station got involved with their usual brand
of insipid gloss-over reporting for the masses and now they're shocked
at the backlash.