Triple-booting?

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 20 20:25:11 UTC 2009

As I recall, back before the days of SATA when we used LILO, one used to
be able to save a copy of the MBR with dd:

dd of=/mbr if=/dev/hdx bs=512 count=1

The boot script was in the first 446 bytes of the MBR, with the iptables
following. One could restore an overwritten boot sequence with:

dd of=/dev/hdx of=/mbr bs=446 count=1

restoring the first 446 bytes leaving the iptables in tact. This did not
appear to work when I tried it on an SATA disk. Has the MBA format
changed, and if so does anybody know what the new format is?

Thanks,
don