File Tagging

Sam Albers tonightsthenight at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 20:14:25 UTC 2009

Hello List,

I am using Ubuntu 8.10. Here is my question.

Do anyone have any suggestions for a decent file tagging system? I have a
ton of pdf's of journal articles on my CPU and I need a way to quickly
identify which pdf's are relevant to my current needs. That is, if I am
looking for a paper on salmon, nutrients and deforestation, I would love a
way that I could search for the PDF based on those keywords. Is there any
way to add tags to files to enable such a keyword search? Currently I use a
combination of folders and JabRef. However, this is unsatisfactory as many
journal articles fall under multiple categories.

I have encountered this Google Program:

http://code.google.com/p/dhtfs/wiki/UserGuide

However, I thought I would ask if any knew of a good file organizing system
where one could add their own tags that might be better or simply an sense
of what other might use. Sorry if this is really simple but I am becoming
lost in a mess of PDF's and I figure that there has to be some efficient way
of doing this.

Thanks!

--
Sam Albers