Swappiness (was Re: W7 vs Ubuntu (Was: replacement for VLC: I dont want Qt)

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jan 20 17:29:47 UTC 2009

Knapp wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca>
> wrote:
>> Knapp wrote:
>>
>>> My system felt slow until I set this [swappiness] to 10.
>>
>> !!!!!!!!!  I wish you'd told me that a couple of months ago :-)
>>

> I would love to hear more. What happened? How well did it work for you?

Well, I know I need more RAM, and admit I'd read that FAQ before but not
really thought about swappiness at the time (at _that_ time, I didn't have a
problem).

So I promptly used your (and the FAQ's) suggestion of setting swappiness to
10 and noticed an immediate improvement.  The system is still not as
responsive as I'd like, but at least the disk isn't almost permanently busy,
as it was.  I still need to get more memory, but I can at least get some
work done, now.