synaptic question - meaning of icons in package list

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Jan 20 11:36:15 UTC 2009

Is there anywhere in the Synaptic Help that tells me what the symbols
in the second column of the package list mean?

In the first column there's a box which is green if the package is
installed and has other markings used to indicate packages selected
for installation etc. (this is documented OK).

However I can't find anything that tells me what the symbols in the
column between the box and the package name column mean.

The particular symbol that's confusing me at the moment is a red and
orange ring with bits that stick out.

I *suspect* that it means that the item marked is actually a
collection of packages but I wish the documentation would tell me that
(maybe it does, but I can't find it).

--
Chris Green