Is it possible to manually activate an eth0 connection?

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Jan 20 08:38:42 UTC 2009

Bas, sorry I forgot the dhcp sample from my own desktop configuration:

This most probably is not the ideal configuration for a mobile notebook
that potentially connects to different networks, but at least it should
get you started quickly.

/etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

#===this is it===

I think this will be what you need to get into the Internet.

Actually I also have an additional bridge setup added to that file (for
virtualbox), so I am not 100 but this does not apply here.

regards
Eberhard