Mount

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Tue Jan 20 02:03:39 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>     I used "whereis" mount and found it in the /bin/ directory. It was
> one of the few red colored things in the directory. Here is what it is:
>
> karl at karl-hardy:/bin$ ls -al mount
> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 81368 2008-09-26 06:43 mount
> karl at karl-hardy:/bin$
>
> It appears that everyone indeed should be able to use mount.

Yes, everyone can execute /bin/mount, just like everyone can execute
/bin/rm.  But just like everyone can't do:

rm -rf /

everyone can't do:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

(unless fstab is setup so they can)

There are more factors than just who can run the executable, such as
mount's internal checks and the permissions for the block device.

Matt Flaschen