Adding to the front of a line

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Tue Jan 20 00:08:20 UTC 2009

Hello,

I've downloaded a text file of the new sites to block to avoid the
conficker worm that is currently infecting Windows users, and would like
to send it to my Windows using friends and family. However the file
unfortunately has only the host names, one per line. I would like to add
the 127.0.0.1 and a space to the front of each line in the file before I
send it out, so all they have to do is copy and paste it's contents to
the end of their hosts files.

I know that this task is very easy with the Linux command line, but am
not experienced enough yet with bash scripting and command line work to
know how to do it. Could someone please steer me to the commands I need
to read up on in order to accomplish this task?

Thanks, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows