Launching Apps from the Command Line

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 23:38:59 UTC 2009

Hi Amichai

On Monday 19 January 2009 22:45:08 Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an old PC I'd like to convert to a old games machine for my kids.
>
> I'd like to install Linux on it, that will boot into the command line
> (console) showing a menu listing the various games with a little screen
> shot. Most of the games are old DOS abandonware games I plan to run using
> DOSBox, and the machine is't very strong, so I;d like to avoid installing X
> altogether, if possible...
>
> Is there an ncurses based menu program out there?
>
> I tried Googling, but couldn't find anything useful.  Maybe there's a Linux
> distro out there I could install?
>
> Tanks!
>
> .:====================================================:.
>
> Amichai Rotman
>
> UIN#: 6401746
> Registered Linux User#: 201192 [http://counter.li.org/]
> Registered Ubuntu User #12851 [http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net]

>---------------------------------

There is another alternative available as well. A simple google for "freedos"
will give you a downloadable link (plus any help needed) for the old DOS
compatible OS. You can easily set up a menu on boot to select apps/games to
run as well. Now it may or may not be what you're looking for so look around
and google to find what you can

http://www.freedos.org/

will get you the homepage as a starter. Feel free to contact me personally in
you need more

James

PS
Know That Latin saying all to well
should try "Semper in excretia sumus, solim profundum variat"