Open Office - can't enter text into Writer, can't see help

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 15:44:44 UTC 2009

Chris G wrote:
> I'm trying to use OpenOffice 2.4 on xubuntu 8.10 and I'm failing
> miserably.
>
> It all starts up OK and I get the main "OpenOffice.org" window and I
> can click on New under the File menu - so far so good.  I'm then
> presented with a "Templates and Documents - New Document" window which
> again seems reasonable.  However at this point I'm stuck, I can't
> enter text into what *appears* to be the text entry area to the right
> of the icons in the "Templates and Documents - New Document" window.

What I use is just a plain write window. I ask for this and it comes up
with no strange things. And it works.

> In addition if I click on Help I get everything to do with Help in a
> new window *except* the actual help.  I.e. I get the Contents, Index,
> Find and Bookmarks tabs and I can move around in the Help and view all
> the sections but nothing actually appears in the pane to the right
> where, presumably, the actual help is supposed to appear.

You need to learn the Help. Turn it on and it shows everything. But in
the little panel put HTML and hit enter. That will be the section of
Help on your interests.

> Am I doing something really stupid or is my OpenOffice installation
> broken in some way?

OO is fine. You need to relax and learn to use it.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User