How to find IP address of a machine on network?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 18 02:36:41 UTC 2009

On 01/17/2009 04:42 AM, Charles Darwin wrote:
> On 16-Jan-09, at 10:07 PM, NoOp wrote:

>>> -bash-3.2$ uname -v && time dns-sd -B _ssh._tcp .
>>> Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008;
>>> root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386
>>> Browsing for _ssh._tcp
>>> Timestamp     A/R Flags if Domain                    Service
>>> Type              Instance Name
>>> 21:22:16.685  Add     2  1 local.
>>> _ssh._tcp.                Ubermensch
>>> ^C
>>>
>>> real	0m0.799s
>>> user	0m0.001s
>>> sys	0m0.002s
>>>
>>> It seems to me using nmap "for what we are trying to do here" is like
>>> using an artillery shell to knock out a mosquito, don't you thinnk?
>>>

>> No. As it doesn't work on my machine.
>>
>> 1. $ uname -v && time dns-sd -B _ssh._tcp .
>> #1 SMP Thu Nov 27 18:44:42 UTC 2008
>> bash: dns-sd: command not found
>>
>> real	0m0.274s
>> user	0m0.200s
>> sys	0m0.052s
>>
>> 2. The OP asked:
>>
>> <quote>
>> I have just installed ubuntu onto a machine and have connected it to
>> my LAN.  The router provides DHCP and the new machine is up and
>> running on the network.
>
> So here you do have physical access to the machine. To get your IP
> simply run:
>
> ipconfig getifaddr en0	#for Ethernet
> ipconfig getifaddr en1	#for Wireless
>
> You can wrap either of them (or both) in a script and have the script
> send you an email with the IP(s). nmap to artillery shell for a
> mosquito analogy would still work here.

And I would want to do that why? Sorry, but perhaps I'm missing the big
picture here.

~$ ipconfig getifaddr en0
bash: ipconfig: command not found

$ ipconfig
bash: ipconfig: command not found

Are you perhaps running running something other than Ubuntu (I'm running
8.04.1)?

Apparently you are, as ipconfig only works in Windows (maybe others) as
far as I know.

If you are offering advise to the OP on how to check the Ubuntu machine
from Windows that might work (I've not tried it)... as would nmap
installed on Windows.

>> How do I connect *to* the machine?  I need to know its IP address and,
>> as there are a few devices which get their address by DHCP it's not at
>> all obvious what the machine's address is.
>>
>> Eventually I will probably give it a fixed address (for this reason
>> among others).
>> </quote>
>>
>> and then stated:
>>
>> <quote>
>> Quite right, so I have a machine that runs sshd and I want to connect
>> to it and I know it's on the LAN but not its IP address.
>> </quote>
>
> Now this seems like a different scenario. This seems to me (although
> not quite clear) like you do NOT have physical access to the machine
> that you want to ssh into (this is what I mean by "what we are trying
> to do here" BTW) and dns-sd is way faster for that unless you can

Why do you keep referring to dns-sd? Can you point to a reference in
Ubuntu (any version) regarding it's use other than with Avahi as Brian
pointed out or perhaps mdns-scan?

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just trying to figure out what
this 'dns-sd' is that you are referring to and how to use it.

http://www.dns-sd.org/

Indicates that it's a Mac/Apple thing... so how does it apply here?

> figure out how to run nmap super light so it can bit dns-sd which is
> not an easy task; Zeroconf is optimized for sending/receiving minimum
> number of packages for service discovery and now you want to beat that
> by simply tweaking the nmap which is designed to do much more and is
> not necessarily brief in what does; I say good luck with that. On the
> other hand, I think, if you can find a default utility on linux (which
> I'm pretty sure there is one but I just don't know it), or better yet
> *nix, that would do a quick service discovery, then you're on you're
> way to somewhere.

Lost me there & pretty much everywhere regarding your suggestions.