ssh - connection refused

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 18 01:53:11 UTC 2009

On 01/17/2009 10:24 AM, frmas wrote:
> NoOp a écrit :
[snip]
>> The first thing to do is ensure that it works with 22 properly. Then
>> just change as above to 5317. I've just done this on one of my machines
>> after first ensuring that it works with 22 and performing a 'sudo
>> /etc/init.d/ssh restart on the 5317 target machine:
>
> Hmmm, from your post and the tests I did, the problem could be somewhere
> else, so. I have a local lan, and running from my laptop (homelaptop)
> the following command :
> ssh -X homeserver -p 5317
> it works fine, but the auth log file on the "server", shows a connection
> from computer homelaptop with ip 192.168.1.12. So I wonder whether or
> not the ssh connection is thru the local network only or thru the
> internet first, then thru my local network.
> Then, the pb could come from my router, and its configuration. Francois

It suspect the problem is with your router/firewall.

1. When you 'ssh -X homeserver -p 5317' the ssh is from within your own
intranet. That appears to be normal and working.

2. When you try the same via the public internet the connection is
blocked or mis-routed. From your other post:

>  have added an entry as "virtual server", in my router settings.
> This is what I added :
> Enable (x)
> Name : ssh
> IP Address : 192.168.1.17 (the IP of my homeserver on the local lan)
> Protocol : TCP
> Private port : 22
> Public port : 5317
> Inbound filter : allow all
> Schedule : Always.

It would be impossible to tell what the issue is on your router and/or
firewall unless you identify what the router/firewall is. If you'd like
to test from outside, drop me a note directly and I'll be happy to
attempt ssh connections to you from the outside. You'll be able to tell
who/what it's coming from that way. No need to give me any password etc,
just the details of the port & with those I'll be able to tell you if I
get an ssh prompt back from your system.