Is it possible to manually activate an eth0 connection?

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 15:28:39 UTC 2009

(Snip)
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet static
> address 192.168.1.20
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.18.1.1

> At least the last line is wrong. The gateway should be 192.168.1.1 (168
> instead of 18) if that is really the case.

The webconfigurator page of the router which I use to connect my
computers to the ISP, reveals the following "Default Gateway":
82.169.255.254.  See list below. Could this be the 'gateway'
information we are looking for?

> However I'm not sure that simply using a static setup with (more or
> less) random numbers is the right approach at all.

This is a good point. However, the codes 'address' and 'netmask'
consist of figures revealed by ifconf-tests. Even the names like
'eth0' and 'eth1' have been revealed by networkmanager and different
tests running via terminal.

> In the first mail of this thread you wrote that you want to connect the
> interface to an ethernet modem. I'm not sure what you mean with
> ethernet modem, but is it perhaps a DSL modem? Then the setup above
> would be totally wrong and you would have to run pppoeconf or
> someother program  to connect to your DSL provider. I think there is a
> graphical interface in knetworkmanager which is probably easier to use
> than the command line
> tool. Or is it a DSL router? Then the setup above might be right
> depending on the type of router. Can you please tell us the type of
> device (manufacturer / model name) you want to connect to your
> laptop?

The  name of the device is 'Zyxel Prestige 2000 series'. It is a
router which is the connection between my ISP and my computers. The
router has 4 access points for RJ-45 connectors and cables.  The 'Web
configurator' of this modem reveals the following technical basic
information:

System Status

System Name: adsl-modem
ZyNOS F/W Version: V3.40(MU.3)D0 | 05/04/2005
DSL FW Version:TI AR7 01.01.08.00
Standard:ADSL_G.dmt

WAN Information

IP Address:82.169.250.209
IP Subnet Mask:255.255.224.0
Default Gateway:82.169.255.254
VPI/VCI:0/ 34

LAN Information

MAC Address:00:13:49:1c:ec:0a
IP Address: 192.168.1.254
IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP: Server
DHCP Start IP: 192.168.1.33
DHCP Pool Size: 32

DHCP Table
========
Host Name: Viaconsensus1

IP Address: 192.168.1.33

MAC Address: 00-13-D3-90-EE-C2

> Are you using the same device with another machine?

Yes - the desktop PC from which I am sending this message.

> Finally another thought: Are you sure the cable to the ethernet modem is
> OK? Can you check the cable between other devices?

Recently, I did use the cable between 2 other devices - it functioned
at that moment. It is a new cable, bought only  few months ago.

However, I am not really sure whether the RJ-45 access point of my
laptop is adequate. That is why, I also examine another way I can use
this cable: to connect it to a ethernet PCMCIA card, with a special
ethernet RJ45 interface. This results in a connection 'eth1' according
to both KNETWORKMANAGER and pppoeconf. According to KNETWORKMANAGER,
the connection status of eth1 at the laptop is 'active' now. However,
the pppoeconf test for eth1 also fails. Also via a browser, I do not
manage yet to reach internet from the laptop.

Thanks everybody for all your efforts so far. I have to leave now for
an appointment. I will come back and resume this technical work on
Sunday.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas Roufs.

--