extern hard drives

Doug Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 16 01:42:01 UTC 2009

H.S. wrote:
> Doug Pollard wrote:
>

>> Now!  here is the output this time. I don't know why it is different and
>> shows all drives? I did go back to Xp and tried a couple things
>> suggested by Jerry. I was able to get xp to show the Empty sdd drive so
>> thats an improvement but the 160GB sdc drive with media on it could not
>> be made to show in XP, MY computer  even though I changed the drive
>> letter.   I then restarted Ubuntu   maybe that made a difference??
>>

>> /dev/sdd1 on /media/disk type vfat
>> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)
>> /dev/sdc1 on /media/disk-1 type vfat
>> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)
>>

> Okay, these are the two USB drives from your description. sdd works
> okay, as you wrote above. sdc drive is vfat (same as sdd), so the format
> of the drive shouldn't be a problem. What is the output of this command
> in Ubuntu?
> $> sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdc
>
> My suspicion is that there is some problem with the filesystem on sdc.
> Are you able to write and read files to this drive in Ubuntu?

Here is the output. I see it has an asterix under boot??  That seems wrong.

         Doug

doug at doug-Linux:~$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdc
[sudo] password for doug:

Disk /dev/sdc: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0009e195

/dev/sdc1   *           1       19457   156288321    b  W95 FAT32
doug at doug-Linux:~$