extern hard drives

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 22:31:03 UTC 2009

Doug Pollard wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> Doug Pollard wrote:
>>

>>> Below as you requested. Aloso the  drive here is the second drive on my
>>> computer the first has xp installed.
>>>

>>> doug at doug-Linux:~$ mount
>>> /dev/sdb1 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
>>> proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>>> /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>>> varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
>>> varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
>>> udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
>>> devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
>>> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
>>> lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.24-23-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
>>> securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
>>> gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/doug/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
>>> (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=doug)
>>> doug at doug-Linux:~$

Okay, good, that clarifies the internal drive.

> /dev/sdc1 ( usb drive) this drive has media on it. The last drive is
> /dev/sdd1 (USB drive)  this drive is empty.

Aha! So you have sdc and sdd. How come they are not listed in the output
of the mount command you posted above earlier? If that were missed
somehow, can you post them now? If the mount command output was indeed
completely pasted above, then it might that the drives were not mounted
at that time.

Another option, what is the output of the following commands?
$> sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdd
$> sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdc

while the external drives are connected and are called sdd and sdc
devices by your system (change accordingly)?

->HS

>                                                           Doug

ever having been read.