extern hard drives

jerry jerryturba at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 15 20:29:29 UTC 2009

Doug Pollard wrote:
> HI All,
>     I have a dual boot system with xp and ubuntu8.04  running.  I also
> have two usb hard drives with media on them.  I formatted them with
> gparted as fat 32 with the thought that I would be able to read with
> ubuntu and xp.  Xp cannot see either drive. Does any one have any idea
> why Xp can't see the drives.  Xp is using ntfs should it be able to see
> and read fat 32 drives??
>                                                  Doug

If XP cannot see the drives in My Computer try to go in  XP to Control
Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management >Storage >Disk Management >
locate external usb drive.Sometimes the drive letters get messed up and
you have to manually assign a drive letter. Usually better to use the
letter J or higher.
Hope this helps
Jerry