apt install tomcat

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 09:04:18 UTC 2009

The directions at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/serverguide/C/tomcat.html

don't explain, at least that I can understand, where CATALINA_HOME is
located.  I eventually got:

thufir at arrakis:~$
thufir at arrakis:~$ pwd
/home/thufir
thufir at arrakis:~$
thufir at arrakis:~$ tomcat6-instance-create my-instance
* New Tomcat instance created in my-instance
* You might need to change server ports in my-instance/conf/server.xml
  to avoid conflict with other services that might use them.
* Run my-instance/bin/startup.sh to start your Tomcat instance
thufir at arrakis:~$
thufir at arrakis:~$ my-instance/bin/startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /home/thufir/my-instance
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat6
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/thufir/my-instance/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
thufir at arrakis:~$
thufir at arrakis:~$ ll /usr/share/tomcat6/
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-01-14 22:34 bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-01-14 22:34 lib
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2009-01-15 00:27 skel
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2009-01-14 22:34 webapps
thufir at arrakis:~$
thufir at arrakis:~$

but, CATALINA_HOME still isn't *really* at /usr/share/tomcat6/ because,
as Netbeans complains about, there's not conf directory.  How do I
configure tomcat for netbeans and vice-versa?  Netbeans, basically, just
wants to know where CATALINA_HOME is located.  I tried configuring as per
above for CATALINA_HOME, but, correctly, netbeans rejected that directory
with an error that <CATALINA_HOME>/conf/server.xml was corrupt (meaning
not found). So, I also input the CATALINA_BASE path into netbeans and got
past the configuration, but that was futile as netbeans failed to
actually run the web application.

>From experience, I guess I'll just download the files from apache.  I'd
rather use the package manager, but that seems harder than manually
downloading :(

Is there something I'm not understanding?  There's some magical way to
setup CATALINA_HOME after installing from apt?  The reaction from tomcat
users is just not to use apt :(

-Thufir