SSH hacked?

musicman datakid at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 06:37:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Brian <ad44 at cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed 14 Jan 2009 at 12:03:20 +1000, Res wrote:
>
>> love to know who does your math :)
>
> There are about 70 alphabetic, numerical and other symbols which could
> be chosen. A 20 character password has 10^36 combinations. At 1 per
> second it would take 10^29 years to list them. We'll be generous and
> allow a bot not to have to consider passwords with 19 character or
> fewer, to know a username, make 1000 attempts per second and have a
> successful outcome after testing 1% of the possibilities. It has in the
> region of 10^24 years of work ahead.

Note for those following this thread for educative purposes that the
advent of quantum computing will render all these big numbers
meaningless and we will have to move to a new crypto system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer#Potential

cheers
L.

--
because "The Wire" makes "Law and Order" or "CSI" look like an episode
of "The Brady Bunch."

http://www.stuffjournalistslike.com/2008/12/312-the-wire.html