[SOLVED] Re: can I change the label of memory stick in a camera

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 02:06:00 UTC 2009

Nils Kassube wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> At present, in Ubuntu Hardy, if I connect a Sony Cybershot camera via
>> the USB cable, the camera is listed as "1.0 G Media" removable drive in
>> Places.
>>
>> Can that label be changed to something more intuitive? For example "1.0
>> GB Memory Stick".
>
> It should be possible with the instructions at [1]. But I don't know if
> your camera will like it.
>

> Nils
>
> [1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive>

Thanks for the link, it solved the problem.

What I did was this:

1. I needed to install mtools package first. Then, to avoid a noisy
warning by mtools while dealing with labels of FAT partitions, I did:
$> echo mtools_skip_check=1 >> ~/.mtoolsrc

2. While the camera was connected via the USB cable (and while it was
powered on; some cameras power off after a few minutes of inactivity), I
found out its partition using the mount command:
$> mount

in my case, it was listed as:
/dev/sdc1 on /media/disk type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1001,utf8,umask=077,flush)

so the partition I was trying to relabel was /dev/sdc1.

2. Next, I was able to list the current label using the following command.
$> sudo mlabel -i /dev/sdc1 -s ::

3. Finally, to actually change the label, I used the command:
$> sudo mlabel -i /dev/sdc1 ::MemStick1GB

where "MemStick1GB" was the label I wanted. I think you can have a
string here of at most 11 characters.

Note that if for some reason the attached camera powers off (maybe power
save option), and if you try to change the label, you will get an error
like this:
$> sudo mlabel -i /dev/sdc1 ::MemStick1GB
Can't open /dev/sdc1: No such file or directory
Cannot initialize '::'
mlabel: Cannot initialize drive

After changing the label, unmount the camera volume (right click on the
camera device's icon), and then reconnect the camera. The icon now
should have the new label.

Regards.

ever having been read.