Confused over CIFS

Ted Hilts thilts at mcsnet.ca
Wed Jan 14 21:26:51 UTC 2009

Preston Kutzner wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2009, at 10:36 PM, Ted Hilts wrote:
>
>> Preston:
>>
>> I rely heavily on SAMBA and have most of the machines in my LAN cross
>> mapped with shares to each other.  I have Linux (various flavors) and
>> Windows (various flavors). Sorry for the typo. I was not complaining
>> about HP machines but rather I was complaining about MS XP Home. The
>> machine I call "Ubuntu" is used to administrate and I use it to make
>> virtual (VNC) connectionss.  For example, I am as I write this using an
>> XP Home machine called "cic2ext" and am communicating with it with
>> "Ubuntu's" keyboard and monitor. Also, at the same time I am running 6
>> machines.  None of my machines are very fast except for "Ubuntu" and
>> "misty".  Depending upon the particuar project I need a number of
>> machines to handle the data input requirements.  For example, one
>> project is to gather and archive news reports from all over the world
>> and from a number of differenct agencies in order to establish the
>> integrity (a lot of bias gets into news reports both intentionally and
>> unintentionally). One of my machines cannot handle this task by itself
>> and the overall process requires my intervention (which is time
>> consuming).  So, I end up running several machines all doing different
>> parts of the overall news reporting task.  For this particular project I
>> have to set up each machine to run the same applications and then
>> interact manually at various stages of their progress.  I used to build
>> programs to automate this overall process but ended up constantly
>> revising the programs and spending more time building the programs than
>> collecting the news.  Every time a news agency changed their web pages I
>> had to revisit my automated programs which involved my intervention any
>> way.  So I ended up using the Firefox browser with various add-ons such
>> as Newsfox to gather RSS articles and also an add-on called scrapbook
>> which captures a tree or tabbed news article.  The machine "misty"
>> handles about 300 different news sources.  Another machines called
>> "CICERO" handles about 50 different news sources, the machine called
>> "Ubuntu" handles about 100, and so on.  Most of the machines are XP and
>> they archive onto the NTFS disk share (/media/sdg1)  located on the
>> "Ubuntu" local system.  If this reliance on XP machines was not
>> necessary then there would be no problem using ext3.  I realize that XP
>> machines can access ext3 but when I researched the idea I was not
>> comfortable because of the number of XP machines involved.  Remember,
>> "Ubuntu" is dual booted with a MS XP Home OS.  I installed "Ubuntu" as a
>> experiment and fell in love with it.    So that is the story. Right now
>> there is no problem  other than the one I reported.  I'm a little
>> nervous about rsync because the files and numberous and small -- even
>> the tree files.  I don't want rsync doing anything fancy such as one of
> [...]
Preston

You seem to have grasped most of what I said.

Once I get a universal backup set up which includes "backuppc" working I
will probably replace the NTFS disk which we have been talking about
(because it will be full) with a new one formatted as ext3. Several
months ago I was told by someone on the list that I had to install a
Windows version of ext3 on all the XP machines -- maybe I misunderstood
them.  You seem to be saying that all I have to do is map the XP
machines to the Ubuntu share and SMB will look after everything else.
They are already so mapped.  So that only leaves the issue of rsync.  I
allready read that URL article on rsync.  I have a print out "How to
regularly backup Windows XP to Ubuntu, using rsync".  There are a lot of
configuration steps.  Aside from that my worry is not the transfer
process of rsync but rather this is not so much a backup transfer of
data but an archive which gets put into physical place just once (and
added to) so it can be referenced and used from one single place.  Every
machine collecting data has its own local system repository which I
destroy after a successful transfer of the data over to the "Ubuntu"
location.  The scrapbook application has a export function that allows
me to move data directly from the XP Pro machine (also Linux machines
using same application) over to the mapped Ubuntu machine. HOWEVER (I'm
not yelling) the XP Home machine called "misty" cannot make the export
happen because it is XP Home and not XP Pro.  This "misty" machine
cannot see the Ubuntu shares for the common workgroup. That's what led
to this whole discussion.  I tried to get help from the list as well as
commercial help but no one seems to understand the irregularity that is
occuring.  Oddly enough I do have one XP Home machine called "cic2ext"
that does not have this irregularity (it's much older) and it can see
and access the Ubuntu share on the NTFS disk we have been talking
about.  The XP Home machine "misty" has all the MS updates and Service
Packs installed but this is not the case with the "cic2ext" machine.
That's why I do not update "cic2ext" because I think the problem is
inherent in the MS update.  BTW the dual boot XP Home / Ubuntu machine
came into existence because that XP Home machine showed the same
irregularity as "misty".  So that's the reason I dont' use it and
thought I would try Ubuntu on that machine. Also, the name of the XP
Home machine dual booted with "Ubuntu" has the name "back-up" because it
was supposed to be the final repository not "Ubuntu".  But "Ubuntu" won
out as the dominant computing entity because I could not get "back-up"
to see the other machines in the LAN.  The problem with "back-up" is the
exact same problem as with "misty"  -- they are both XP Home based and
inherit this irregularity as I call it.

So, all that said, there would have been no "Ubuntu" machine as I now
know it if this irregularity was solvable by me. It was a kind of
evolution driven by the hardship imposed by this irregularity.   That
then is the reason why I had set up "misty" the way I did using "cp",
and  the "smbmount" generated from "Ubuntu" on a "misty" share.  By this
means it seemed to me that the "Ubuntu" machine was pulling (by means of
the smbmout) the "misty" data over to the "Ubuntu" share /media/sdg1
NTFS  hard drive.  And it appears to have worked or worked to some
degree and is the reason why I am considering your idea of using rsync.
But I am still worried that rsync will not treat the data transfer to
the archive  as a one shot effort but rather as a backup and may end up
doing things to the archive files that make them unusable??? Hope that
clarifies things?

Thanks - Ted
Watch out for typos -- you caught the last I know of where SHH was
supposed to be SSH.