What is console-setup?

jerry jerryturba at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 14 17:49:12 UTC 2009

I just got an update notification today and it installed console-setup.
Here is part of apt-cache show console-setup;
 The package provides the Linux console with the same versatile
 keyboard configuration that the X Window System uses.  As a result
 there is no need to duplicate or change the keyboard files just to
 make simple customisations such as the use of dead keys, the key
 functioning as AltGr or Compose key, the key(s) to switch between
 Latin and non-Latin mode, etc.
 .
 The package also contains console fonts supporting many of the
 world's languages.  It provides an unified set of font faces - the
 classic VGA, the simplistic Fixed, and the cleaned Terminus,
 TerminusBold and TerminusBoldVGA.

It sounds like something I would like to try but I cannot find out how
to run it. I tried in a terminal and it says command not found. I did
find directories named /etc/console-setup and /usr/share/console-setup,
but no executable.
Any info appreciated.
Jerry