create an image like norton ghost in ubuntu

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Jan 14 16:00:27 UTC 2009

Ray Parrish wrote:

> One other thing I can think of about dd is it's nickname "data
> destroyer", one little typo in your call to it can wreak havoc, and a
> gui tool doesn't suffer from this problem as much.

Plus corruption or errors will be copied dutifully over by dd as well.
There's a dd-rescue utility that uses a modified routine with DD to try
recovering data in the copy process...dd-rescue or dd-restore, something
like that.

> Now if I could just afford another drive to make some copies of my
> partitions on, I'd be set. 8-)

If you have another system, we image by booting RIP (does it seem like I
like RIP yet?) and mounting a remote share with the mount -t cifs
command then specifying that mountpoint as the destination (and source
if performing the restore) for the partimage file.

So we can image to a USB disk or Windows share or a physically cabled drive.