Changing owner/file permissions

Pat pat.mysterywriter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 11:13:39 UTC 2009

I have several files I copied over from another Ubuntu system. They are
locked and while I can copy them and create usuable files, I would like
to be able to change the files and their directory's owner to allow me
full access. Right now the owner is nobody and the group is nogroup. How
do I change that to be myself?

I tried chmod but I'm not sure of the syntax and all I get is an
'Operation is not permitted' I've tried chown and chgrp and get the same
response. What am I missing? I know it's something simple, but I can't
figure out what command I need.

This is an example of what I see with ls -l

drwxr-xr-x  3 nobody  nogroup    4096 2009-01-12 20:40 Jazy

I want to change nobody and nogroup to my own id.

--

Pat Brown

pat.mysterywriter at gmail.com
www.pabrown.ca

Now available from All Romance Ebooks and Mobibook, I Do!, an anthology of love and acceptance