create an image like norton ghost in ubuntu

habtool habtool at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 00:53:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 19:25 -0500, H.S. wrote:

> I second that. I have used it in the past to retain images of 'factory
> default' hard disks. This was a couple of years or so ago. I am sure
> there have been improvements in these open source disk imaging tools
> since them. Somebody mentioned fog, it appears it uses partimage
> internally. However, it doesn't appears to be in Ubuntu repos yet, at
> least not in Hardy.

Sadly partimage development has stalled for a LONG time.
There was talk of a QT front end but this has never arrived :(

The last file their site is:
unstable 0.7.2 August 10, 2003

Any way, still a great tool, has not failed me yet.

Another way to use partimage is via quickstart, not sure if this is
frowned upon or not, its just a bit easier than the front end for
partimage, but either method works just fine my side.

(I have not used the other options, so don't shoot me if this is another
Automatix saga!)

http://quickstart.phpbb.net/

QuickStart: DOWNLOAD/PICS:
http://quickstart.phpbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11