removal of midbrowser

Greg Michalski ubuntulists at distinctperspectives.com
Tue Jan 13 19:55:22 UTC 2009

> Ray Parrish wrote:
> > don fisher wrote:
> >> Ray,
> >>
> >> I really appreciate your reply to my, at time, newbie questions. Let
> >> me explain a few more details. The first is that I am trying to change
> >> from Fedora to Ubuntu. So many of the tasks I previously new how to
> >> perform changed or gained aliases:-) Part of the adventure I guess.
> >>
> >> I have had to install the 32-bit version of firefox in my home
> >> directory. I did this because some of the codecs for online videos
> >> only exist in 32 bit formats.
> >>
> >> Along the lines I found:
> >> a) The links from /etc/alternatives are:
> >>    /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser -> /usr/bin/firefox-3.0
> >> b) The links from /usr/bin are:
> >>    /usr/bin/firefox -> /usr/bin/firefox-3.0 ->
> >> /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.5/firefox.sh
> >>
> >> So both paths end up at /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.5/firefox.sh.
> >>
> >> But when I click on a link contained in a Thunderbird email, it still
> >> opens midbrowser.
> >>
> >> My ~/.mozilla directory, as shown below, does contain an entry for
> >> midbrowser:
> >>
> >> .mozilla>ls
> >> appreg          dfisher/        firefox@        mozver.dat
plugins/
> >> default/        extensions/     midbrowser/     pluginreg.dat
> >>
> >> There appears to be something within Thunderbird that wants to use the
> >> midbrowser rather than the firefox entries. I cannot find anything in
> >> Thunderbird that would change that setting. I am not even aware of how
> >> I enabled it. Maybe one of the upgrades did it by default?
> >>
> >> Thanks again for your help. I really have most things working. Only
> >> problems with Network Manager and Sound remain. But there have been
> >> many other posts on these subjects so I assume they are being fixed.
> >>
> >> don

> > Hello again,
> >
> > LOL! You're a noob??? I've only been using Linux for about six months
> > now, after years of suffering the problems of Windows... I have been
> > tearing into the guts of Ubuntu every day however, and have been
> > learning quite a bit.
> >
> > Also, I'm pretty good at using Google, and a search there on "ubuntu
> > thunderbird http link" has put me onto a thread that contains what I
> > think may be the answer for you.
> >
> > Create a text file and name it user.js and put the following lines in it
-

> > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
> > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
> > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");
> >
> > Then save into your Thunderbird profile folder. The right folder will
> > already have a file called prefs.js. On my machine this path is
> > /home/ray/.mozilla-thunderbird/jta97xpo.default/
> >
> > WOOPS! I realized right after clicking the Send button, that I had
> > forgotten about your non-standard path to Firefox. Please amend the
> [...]

http://www.qq.co.za/chatterms.aspx is the first link google provided. "noob"
isn't listed  though - just pronounce it - noo-b (newbie).  I believe
there's a lot more than that list even has, just ask a standard 13 year old
with a cell phone in the middle of a text message... :)

Greg
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury,
and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt (Author)
www.distinctperspectives.com