duplicate items for gthumb in Hardy

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 19:26:55 UTC 2009

On a machine running Hardy, I get two menu items or entries for gthumb
in Applications->Graphics.

If I remove the gthumb package, I am left with one item, but this
understandably does not work (it appears to lead to nothing). If I
reinstall gthumb, I get the two items again. Clicking on either one of
these starts gthumb successfully though.

The only change I recall making relevant to gthumb was to make it the
default photo import program in Hardy (instead of f-spot). Here are
steps that I followed (from
- cp /usr/share/applications/gthumb.desktop
- Changed  line 138 to Exec=gthumb --import-photos in the copied filed.

- and changed ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list to have

So how do I get rid of these duplicate menu items for gthumb?

ever having been read.