Samba and Read Only documents

Richard Cameron rcameron at allendale-electronics.ca
Tue Jan 13 13:45:21 UTC 2009

Hi all. I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 as a file server here on our
little network. I set up samba to share files with the windows boxes
here. However, when I got the whole thing up and running, several of the
windows computers couldn't access the shared folder. I un-commented the
lines "force user" and "force group". Now everybody can see and open the
files. Unfortunately, all of our ms office documents come up as read
only on the windows machines. I'm under the gun to get this fixed as
quickly as possible, so any advice would be helpful.

Here's my smb.conf for your consideration:

[global]
    ; General server settings
    netbios name = AEServer
    server string =
    workgroup = AE
    announce version = 5.0
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

    passdb backend = tdbsam
    security = user
    null passwords = true
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    name resolve order = hosts wins bcast

    wins support = yes

    printing = CUPS
    printcap name = CUPS

    syslog = 1
    syslog only = yes

; NOTE: If you need access to the user home directories uncomment the
; lines below and adjust the settings to your hearts content.
;[homes]
    ;valid users = %S
    ;create mode = 0666
    ;directory mode = 0777
    ;browseable = yes
    ;read only = no
    ;veto files = /*.{*}/.*/mail/bin/

; NOTE: Only needed if you run samba as a primary domain controller.
; Not needed as this config doesn't cover that matter.
;[netlogon]
    ;path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    ;admin users = Administrator
    ;valid users = %U
    ;read only = no

; NOTE: Again - only needed if you're running a primary domain
controller.
;[Profiles]
    ;path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
    ;valid users = %U
    ;create mode = 0666
    ;directory mode = 0777
    ;writeable = yes
    ;browseable = yes

; NOTE: Inside this place you may build a printer driver repository for
; Windows - I'll cover this topic in another HOWTO.
[print$]
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = root
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775

[printers]
    path = /tmp
    printable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = no

; Uncomment if you need to share your CD-/DVD-ROM Drive
;[DVD-ROM Drive]
    ;path = /media/cdrom
    ;browseable = yes
    ;read only = yes