VLC and sound

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Tue Jan 13 05:26:10 UTC 2009

mark Pyles wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (Gnome desktop) on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.
> I have a problem where my VLC media player doesn't always have sound
> when I go to use it. For example, if I have been using my computer for a
> while and open VLC to watch a DVD I get no sound. Not until I reboot my
> computer and start VLC after my computer reboots that the sound works
> fine. Any ideas as to the cause of that? Thanks.
>
> Mark

Have a look in syslog with System Log Viewer and see if you find any
messages of the following type -

May 3 20:50:34 mark-desktop pulseaudio[5860]: module-alsa-sink.c: Error
opening PCM device front:0: Device or resource busy

May 3 20:53:00 mark-desktop pulseaudio[5860]: sink-input.c: Failed to
create sink input: too many inputs per sink.

These are caused by pulseaudio conflicting with alsa, and as far as I've
been able to determine by following the bug reports, the only fix for it
has been to disable pulseaudio.

On my system it manifests itself as an inability to play videos in
Totem, and occasionally on boot up it will have started having problems
already, and my menus will not drop into view for use. the only option I
am left with at that point is to power down with the power button.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows