Processor Scaling

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jan 13 02:32:57 UTC 2009

Brian McKee wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> In both cases, the laptop was wirelessly connected to the network and
>> ready for Internet surfing.
>
> I hope the battery was out and the room temp about the same and all
> the updates installed on both and no indexers running etc. or the test
> was meaningless....

Hardly meaningless.  The battery and temperature issues are valid, but "all
updates" is probably not.  In fact, I'd say it's more valid to test the
latest released versions against each other, without updates, as that's what
the average user will have.  And indexers _should_ be running - and my
experience with Ubuntu is that in that case it's likely to be running hot
and busy, because those darn indexers never stop until you make them.