Finding executable files

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 13 00:50:06 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 1/12/09, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: Finding executable files
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Monday, January 12, 2009, 4:40 PM
> On 01/12/2009 01:51 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- On Mon, 1/12/09, NoOp
> >> I still get confused on path's &
> environment
> >> variables, so I have this
> >> page bookmarked:
> >>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables
> >>

> > Just to add my two cents.  Wajig is a neat, powerful
> front
> > end for apt which can do many things with apt.
> > wajig whichpkg <file name> will give you any/all
> the package
> > names that contain the file name. It's in the
> repos and if
> > your not familiar with it it is a good package to
> review and
> > use.  Thanks for the info on environmental variables.
> I need
> > that tooo.
>
> A Gnome GUI command 'gjig' is also included in the
> package. And is
> pretty interesting...

Nice. Has all the options listed or most at least so you
don't have to look them up with "wajig commands". I used to
use wajig almost exclusively but have gotten away from it
and now use aptitude command line because of the better
dependency handling so I've heard anyway. Wajig is powerful.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net