Confused over CIFS

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Jan 13 00:32:15 UTC 2009

> Ummm... not sure who's right or wrong in all of this, but for what it's
> worth here's what I've dug up:

Here is what I dug up:

The smbfs module still exists even in Hardy and Intrepid. Search for
smbfs.ko and you will find it present.

Starting with Gutsy, mount.smbfs became a wrapper for mount.cifs. That
is when people started getting burned using smbfs syntax in /etc/fstab.

So I am wrong in saying that only the cifs module is available for
Hardy. The smbfs module is still around. Just that the utility for using
smbfs is no longer available and has been replaced with a wrapper. I
think they should just rename the smbfs package to cifs since it really
has nothing to do with the smbfs module and also it won't lead to people
moving over to Ubuntu from distros that still have smbfs available
thinking that Ubuntu is broken because 'mount.smbfs' does not behave as
it should.