Processor Scaling

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 12 22:02:18 UTC 2009

On 01/05/2009 12:48 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Well, as I said above I'm not worried about the extra power the "cpu"
>> not the whole desktop takes... The cpu is just a small chip inside the
>> box, and runs on 5 volts. Reading comprehension my friend...
>
> Electricity comprehension my friend.  5V or 500V is (largely) irrelevant -
> it's the power, not the voltage.

Might be interesting to connect one of these things & test:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=14691
[P3 P4460 Kill-A-Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor]

Over on grc.techtalk.linux Mike Meyer posted this a few days ago:

<quote>
I'd heard that Linux is less power-efficient than Windows.  I used a
Kill-A-Watt to test that assumption, and it seems to be wrong:

In Windows XP SP3:
When my laptop is at a blank desktop, no applications or unneeded
services running, the laptop consumes 56 watts.  If I close the lid and
wait for 5 minutes for the hard drive to go into power-saving mode, the
laptop uses 50 watts.

In Fedora 10:
At a blank desktop with no unneeded services running (sshd is still
running) the laptop uses 37 watts.  With the lid closed, it uses 31 watts.

In both cases, the laptop was wirelessly connected to the network and
ready for Internet surfing.

Laptop model is a 4-year-old HP nx9010.
</quote>