updatedb running on every boot

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 18:58:16 UTC 2009

Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>
>> I want "updatedb" to run at every boot, instead of once a day.
>>
>> How may I do that?
>>

> Put it before "exit 0" line in /etc/rc.local:
>
> /usr/bin/updatedb
>
> However this would be running as root. You may wish to find out what disadvantage of doing so.

Don't you have to run updated db as root?

jhubbard at jhubbard-laptop:~$ which updatedb
/usr/bin/updatedb
jhubbard at jhubbard-laptop:~$ updatedb
updatedb: fatal error: You are not authorized to create a default
slocate database!
jhubbard at jhubbard-laptop:~$ sudo updatedb
[sudo] password for jhubbard:
{long delay}
jhubbard at jhubbard-laptop:~$

--
-john

                2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
        0b11000100 || !0b11000100
        0b11000100 || 0b00111011
               0b11111111
        255, that is the answer.