Ubuntu & RAID

Stephen Carter stevecarter at fastmail.net
Mon Jan 12 09:28:44 UTC 2009

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, Stephen Carter wrote:
>
>> The onr big difference between what you suggest is that I want to
>> install Ubuntu onto a pre-existing RAID 1 that is already configured
>> into 4 partitions under Windows XP Pro.
>
>    Stephen,
>    I don't really understand what you mean by "already configured"
>    As far as I know, soft RAID1 doesn't work on XP, and anyway Windows can't
>    manage a Linux partition, RAID or not.

Pierre,

Sorry I was less than clear.

My PC has a hardware RAID set up, with two HD units, as a mirrored RAID
(RAID 1).

The resulting array is partitioned to give 3 drives: C, D, and E.

(Previous email was wrong in saying 4 partitions - sorry.  :-( )

Windows XP Pro is the OS installed on the C drive. D, and E are drives
for data. There is no unpartitioned space on the array.

>    What are your 4 partitions? It would be useful to give the
>    output of "fdisk -l" from the live cd.

Confession time - I am not sure how I would do this from the Live CD.

However, what I said in my first email is still the case. Wubi.exe does
an install but it will not complete the boot into Linux (I gave the
error messages before). The Live CD will install, but the the C, D, and
E partitions are available twice, once from each HD unit, and there is
no sign of the RAID 1 that is actually a hardware RAID facility on the
mainboard.

Hope this is a bit clearer now.

Thanks for your help.

Peace and all good.

Stephen Carter

Vicar
St Andrew, Netherton & St Peter, Darby End

“It is not fitting, when one is in God's service, to have a gloomy face
or a chilling look.”(Saint Francis)