default window size to full screen problem

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sun Jan 11 07:20:19 UTC 2009

don fisher wrote:
> Ray,
>
> I have the gconf-editor, but did not see the fields you describe.
>
> I come from worse than windows. I was on fedora, and used a low level
> window manager,  fvwm2, where I set controls by editing files. I do get
> a bit lost in the "user friendly" interfaces.
>
> The files are in ~/.gconf. I greped the entire tree and could not find
> any reference to maximize or full screen that appears appropriate. The
> file manager is nautilus, panel is gnome, window manager is metacity.
> Under metacity/general, there is something called "visual_bell_type"
> which is set to fullscreen. Do you know what that is or does?
>
> don
>
> Ray Parrish wrote
>
>> don fisher wrote:
>>
>>> I have managed to arrange my system so that in both gnome and kde the
>>> windows, such as gterm, synaptics, etc load incorrectly. They first
>>> appear the correct size, the in about 1/2 second they expand to full
>>> screen, like maximized. When I right click on the tab in the panel, I
>>> have the option on Unmaximize. When I execute this option the window
>>> returns to normal size. But this is a pain for every window that is opened.
>>>
>>> There must be a default that I have set by mistake, but I am unable to
>>> find it. Any assistance would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> don
>>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> On the Applications, System Tools menu you should find Configuration
>> Editor. In this tool you will find entries for all of the programs on
>> your system, and part of the settings you can apply to them there are
>> their window sizes, initial positions onscreen, and whether they should
>> be opened Maximized or not. Too bad it wasn't that easy in windows... 8-)
>>
>> If you don't find it there , install the package "gconf-editor" and you
>> will have it then.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish

The visual bell thing is an accessibility thing for people who can't
hear, which flashes the screen when an alarm goes off, so they can tell
something is going on with the system. I read it somewhere when I was
messing with Configuration Editor and ran across it.

Have a look at the following screen shot from Configuration Editor. I
have dropped down the first section named "Apps", and selected the first
application listed. As you can see the in the screen shot the settings
for window-height and window_width are there for this application.

<http://www.rayslinks.com/Images/Screenshot-Configuration Editor -
agave.png>

In this second screen shot, the application has settings called
GnomeApp_height, GnomeApp_width, and two more called GnomeApp_x, and
GnomeApp_y which specify the application window's location on the
screen, relative to the upper left corner of the monitor, in addition to
the window's size settings.

<http://www.rayslinks.com/Images/Screenshot-Configuration Editor -
Geometry.png>

Unfortunately not every application listed in Configuration Editor will
have these settings, but many of them do, and some have additional
settings, which allow you to start them in a maximized, or full screen
mode as well. It just depends on the application, and whether or not
their programmer's exposed their positional parameters to the operating
system when they wrote their applications.

You'll just have to have a look at each of the applications you want to
set, to see if they have allowed that ability for you.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows