Screen Saver

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sun Jan 11 01:21:39 UTC 2009

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>
>> Ray Parrish wrote:
>>

>>> MY attitude??? Really long thread??? I just started this thread
>>> yesterday, and not that many suggestions have been given or tried. I
>>> have seen people on this group jumped on for posting solutions to
>>> problems they had without asking a question, and being accused of
>>> blogging for it. Frankly I think posts of that type are useful as they
>>> provide solutions to problems that someone else might have sometime.
>>>

>> <Snip>
>>
>> Hint: man xset
>>
>> xset q
>>
>> And now,, *plonk*
>>

> Yay! Someone who knows what is going on! Thank you Rashkae, you hit the
> nail right on the head. 8-)
>
> Here is the output of xset q [edited to just show the screen saver info]
>
> ray at ray-desktop:~$ xset q
>
> Screen Saver:
>   prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
>   timeout:  600    cycle:  600
>
> So, evidently the gui Screen Saver software doesn't control or know
> about this setting. I can now shut the blanking off, and if it reoccurs
> on the next boot up, I will simply write a small bash script to shut it
> off, and add it to the Sessions Manager so it runs on boot up.
>
> Once again, thanks for the tip Rashkae, you rule! 8-)
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Hello again,

I just have to weigh in on this thread one more time as I have been
studying the man pages for X and have discovered the correct method of
of turning off the default timeout value for blanking in X. This is
evidently done in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file according the the man
xorg.conf document. To disable the timeout, or change it's value to one
of your choosing you make your setting in the ServerFlags section of the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file as shown below.

Section "ServerFlags"
         Option "BlankTime"  "0"
EndSection

It may also be set in the same manner, in the ServerLayout section, and
if it is set there, it over rides any setting which exists in the
ServerFlags section.

Now that I know the proper method of setting this value, I have of
course abandoned my intentions of writing a bash script, which was a
kludge that would have worked, but wouldn't have been the proper way to
do it. 8-)

Learn a little something new every day, it'll never hurt you.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows